Wow, thanks for stopping by! A few weeks ago, bursting with creativity (and probably running on sugar), my goddaughter Lala decided to take on Gateau Le Sans Rival. Although I had made this torte a dozen times, directions-wise, there is always a minor thing to tweak. The book Favorite Filipino Recipes, although has good recipes indeed, was not very forthcoming directions-wise. However, my copy is from the 70’s and subsequent revisions may have been made since then.
- 5 egg whites
- cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 175F.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add sugar gradually and continue beating.
- Fold in chopped nuts and vanilla.
- Pipe meringue into 3 or 4 buttered and dusted (with sugar) 9″ diameter pans to make thin layers. I pipe because I cannot spread meringue evenly with an offset spatula. Please teach me. Thanks.
- IF using parchment paper, using pencil, trace 9″ circles on sheet of parchment paper; turn parchment over (circles will show through) and place on large rimmed baking sheet. Again! (Like a 4-year old)
- I hope you have something good to watch on TV.
- Bake meringues until dry and crisp but not browned, about 3 hours.
- Turn off oven and let meringues cool completely in oven.
Pâte à Bombe
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- Boil water and sugar until it spins a thread.
- Pour mixture gradually over-well-beaten egg yolks and continue beating until thick.
- Remove and chill in refrigerator.
- pate a bombe
- 1 cup softened unsweetened butter
- Cream butter and add pate a bombe. Continue whisking until light and fluffy.