Food & Wine Magazine arrived in the mail earlier this week, and I could not wait to try some of the recipes. On the cover is Mario Batali’s Spaghetti with Artichokes and Pancetta. As you may already know, I am skipping meat the entire duration of Lent (and actually feeling really great about it). It’s a pantry raid kind of dish. Everything is already here.
- 8 baby artichoke hearts (Costco shortcut, already cooked and marinated in water)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- one tin of flat anchovies (Costco item as well)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound linguine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Slice the artichokes lengthwise 1/8 inch thick.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic and anchovies and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until anchovies dissolve in oil, about 10 minutes.
- Add the white wine, and simmer over moderately low heat, about 5 minutes.
- Add the artichokes to the saucepan, cover and cook over moderately low heat to coat, about 1 minute since it’s already cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Add the pasta and the reserved cooking water to the artichokes and toss over moderate heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the 1/4 cup of cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve the pasta, passing more grated cheese at the table.