Traditionally, green papaya and pepper leaves are used for this dish. Here in California, spinach and chayote become good substitutes since they are almost always available. Recently, I discovered that kohlrabi bulb and leaves make even better alternatives.
Now on to the recipe!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cube (season with salt and pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic, mince
- 1″ piece of ginger, julienne
- 1 small onion, roughly chop
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 kohlrabi bulbs, peel and quarter
- kohlrabi leaves, remove stems, roughly chop
- Brown chicken pieces in oil; move to the side of the skillet to saute garlic until golden, ginger until fragrant, onions until translucent.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock, simmer covered until chicken cooks (10-15 minutes).
- Add kohlrabi and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice.