Another soup kind of weather day and I’m not driving to San Rafael to get pho. Totally happy I geeked out on mushrooms when I saw them at Ranch 99 (nope, not like Cottontail Ranch).
I do not have dashi granules in the pantry, though the soybean paste I have on hand is seasoned with bonito. It’s pretty tasty.
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soybean paste
- 1 block of tofu, cut in .5″ cubes
- 2 ounces of white beech mushrooms
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add tofu to the soup, and simmer for a few minutes on low heat.
- Scoop out some soup stock from the pan and dissolve miso in it. Return dissolved miso to the soup.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with chopped chives (this adds to the flavor, too).