What wonderful feet they have (methinks)! Ah, what joy to the home baker.
Makes about 40 1.5″ Macaron Sandwiches
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Scharffen Berger Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Pulse confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and almond flour in a food processor until combined.
- Preheat oven to 280 degrees F. Whisk whites with a mixer on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, and whisk until stiff peaks form. Sift flour mixture over whites, and fold until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain round tip, and pipe 1.5″-inch rounds 1 inch apart on Silpat-lined baking sheets. Tap bottom of each sheet on work surface to release trapped air. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let macaroons cool on sheets for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. (If macaroons stick, spray water underneath parchment on hot sheet. The steam will help release macaroons.)
- Sandwich 2 same-size macaroons with 1 teaspoon filling.