- 4 ounces almond or cashew, ground or flour if readily available
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- egg whites from 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint powder
- green food coloring
- In a food processor, finely grind together nuts and confectioners’ sugar. Sift together and set aside.
- Beat together egg whites until foamy, then gradually add granulated sugar and beat until glossy. If using food coloring, this is the time to add. Powdered is preferred since you do not want extra moisture.
- Fold nuts and confectioners’ sugar in two (2) batches.
- Pipe onto Silpats, 1.5″ diameter.
- Preheat oven to 280F.
- Let stand for 30 minutes to an hour to develop shell. Sometimes I don’t do this.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on Silpats for 5 minutes. Then completely on cooling racks. Store in airtight container and refrigerate.
- Fill with French Buttercream.