The original recipe is from Gourmet Magazine, September 2009 issue. In lieu of provolone I used Monterey Jack. Replaced chives with jalapeno!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped Monterey Jack
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno (more if you like)
Equipment: a 24-cup mini-muffin pan
Whisk together milk, eggs, flour, 1 tablespoon butter, salt, and pepper until smooth, then stir in cheeses and chives. Chill 1 hour to allow batter to rest.
Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in upper third.
Butter muffin pan with remaining tablespoon butter, then heat in oven until butter sizzles, about 2 minutes.
Gently stir batter, then divide among muffin cups (they will be about two-thirds full). Bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.